Thursday 3 October 2013

Adventures: Back to the Lakes part 1


















Last month, Mark & I ticked off another of my 25 by 25s and went back to the Lakes. This is Arnside, the quaint little village where Mark & I spent a lot of time together when he was working at the Youth Hostel in the last photos above. We'd spend our days wandering around the little village, eating cakes from the bakery, buying ice creams from the shop on the front and sending postcards to my family. When Mark was working I would sit painting, feeling inspired by how beautiful it is in Arnside (Arnside is where I first painted bears).

It was so wonderful to visit again, we loved spending time digging through the treasure in Past & Present, though sadly now it seems to have upped it's prices and become more of an actual antiques shop. It's still worth a visit, there are many curiosities to be seen. The binoculars had me at first sight, when I imagined myself as Suzy Bishop with them hanging round my neck. I resisted, just about!

The village itself is very picturesque, with the gorgeous houses and window fronted shops right on the front by the sea and the beach. We spent many hot (and very cold) days walking down on the beach, walking along the water's edge when the tide is out. One of our favourite things to do in Arnside was to go for midnight walks and sit on the end of the pier (windy as it was!), there's just something about being out at night in such a peaceful place (unless it's kicking out time at one of the two pubs!).

There's a lot of nature, and a lot of walking to be done if you're into that kind of thing. As our time was limited, we didn't venture out of the village but instead headed up to the Youth Hostel to relive the days we spent watching Coach Trip on a computer screen sitting on the single bed. Sadly, the Youth Hostel is up for sale and it may not be a Youth Hostel for too much longer. It's a beautiful building, with all the ivy growing over it and the old brickwork. It's certainly old fashioned inside too!

More photos & stories to come in part 2 :)

Facebook // Instagram // Bloglovin' // Pinterest

16 comments:

  1. This looks like such a lovely place to escape to, I'd love to go. And you are so pretty, by the way! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love a trip to the lakes, it's always so relaxing and cosy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a lovely trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is t he sort of thing Ben and I would love to do! Gorgeous photos xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is SO pretty, I'd love to visit. Glad you had a nice time, you look so nice in the photos!
    I found a pair of binoculars in a vintage shop in Nottingham, and dreamed of looking like Suzy Bishop wearing them... I too managed to resist! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, cute pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks so idyllic :) I love your scarf btw x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That antique shop looks utterly delightful!! Beautiful photos, this looks like it was such a lovely trip! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful, picturesque little place! The youth hostel buildling is absolutely gorgeous. It sounds like you both had a lovely time, it's so nice to get away & this looks like the ideal place to do it. Pretty much all of the holidays I've been on in the UK I've had to have the obligatory walk down the freezing, windy beach with a cone of chips, and it's the first thing I think of when ever someone says they've been to the seaside! I love these posts of yours, I feel like I would like to do something similar this year too, I never seem to be able to find the time to do lovely things like this & I think doing a list would make it feel more important to actually do them! Looking forward to part 2! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Lakes so much, I really do prefer going there than to the typical seaside places. It's very peaceful! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the old stuff looks great - I would definitely come away with a huge bag of books. Your outfit is lovely too! :)
    theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow each of these place is amazing and has own magic *_* woow
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this place looks absolutely magical. It honestly looks like a picturesque town out of a movie. I cannot believe these kind of charming little places still exist. I definitely need to explore more when I visit UK again, thanks for sharing with us. I know I would go crazy in this store. Also, slightly off topic but your skin is FREAKING FLAWLESS. Share your secrets!

    WWW.ROXTHEFOX.COM

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your outfit so much - your scarf looks so pretty and cosy! <3 and hooray for ticking something off your list! It is such a beautiful village!

    xo
    Lost in the Haze

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goodness, England is such a beautiful land! I love all the stone buildings and the green grass- every area seems like it's worthy of a picture! And I absolutely love that last picture of the both of you- super sweet! :)

    It's quite annoying when shops raise their prices- that happens a lot where I live, but like you said, you never know what you're going to find! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
    I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more
    of your wonderful post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!


    Also visit my web-site ... Louis Vuitton USA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely comments! I try to reply to them all :) x